Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Prophet


I've just finished reading The Prophet written by Khalil Gibran (the Indonesian translation version off course). What an awesome book!! feeling kinda sad that it waited for 24 years in my life to read this book. Although I don't understand the meaning of most of the words in it, but some story just stabed me right to my heart. Here's a bit of it :

You often say, “I would give, but only to the deserving.”
The trees in your orchard say not so, nor the flocks in your
pasture.
They give that they may live, for to withhold is to perish.
Surely he who is worthy to receive his days and his nights is
worthy of all else from you.
And he who has deserved to drink from the ocean of life deserves
to fill his cup from your little stream.
And what desert greater shall there be, than that which lies in
the courage and the confidence, nay the charity, of receiving?
And who are you that men should rend their bosom and unveil
their pride, that you may see their worth naked and their pride
unabashed?

That is exactly what I've been thinking for the whole of my life. I don't want and I don't need to give to the people who are richer, healthier, or more prosperous than I am because I think my help or gift never mean a thing for them. It happens a lot since I take public transportation when there's so many beggar annoyed the passanger. They keep saying things like " 1000 rupiahs won't make you poor, so we better asked you for it than we commit a crime to get it" and I'm like "hallooo....I've been working like from 7 a.m to 5 p.m, studied economics, and get home by 10 pm just to do another office or campus assignment and you've just talked around and hoping for money. daaaah...."
I know, sounds so mean.

And then yeah, reading this book awakes me. Who am I to judge for I've been blessed by so many people around me.
Happy reading